ME AND THEM

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

A Broken Little Girl



I can't believe my little girl is broken - again! I spent all of sunday night at the Queen Alexandra hospital with Lucie who managed to fall off the monkey bars at Petersfield Heath. When she fell, we knew straight away that she had broken her arm as her arm looked as though she had an extra elbow - in the wrong place! So, the ambulance came and took us down to QA, where she was x-rayed and they confirmed that she had completely snapped both bones in her arm, down near her wrist. Because of the nature of the break and the amount of displacement, they needed to operate to k-wire the bones back in place so that it doesn't move and will heal straight. She now has a big, heavy 'old-fashioned' cast on her arm as they allow less movement, despite being more uncomfortable! Next Wednesday, we have to go back down to the hospital where they will x-ray it again to make sure it is still straight and mending properly and she will then hopefully have a lighter-weight cast put on which she can choose the colour of - maybe even pink and purple stripes apparently!!

As if that wasn't bad enough, Emi went away with the school for the first time for the week yesterday morning. Lucie was still in hospital, but I couldn't let Em go off without me being there, any more than I could have left Lucie alone having just had her op, so Dad drove down to the hospital at 6.30 in the morning and I drove back home to take Em and say good-bye! She was pretty tearful but I expected that. Not only was she worrying about Lucie, but it was also 4 years yesterday since my Mum died. Her and Em (as well as the other girls) were very close to my Mum and so it is always an emotional day for us. Mrs Taylor rang last night and let Em talk to me and Lucie, so that she could stop worrying and once she had spoken to Lucie she seemed a lot happier, so I am hoping that will be it!

Anyway, I am off to watch 'Mary Kate and Ashley in NewYork Minute' with Lucie before we go down school for me to teach the recorder lessons that I teach today! Will up-date with more pics, and a 'broken' layout soon!!

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Lucie Loo... what are we going to do with you!!!! You poor thing!!!! Take it easy, young lady!!! Joy, I can't be there to help you, but I want you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you, and if you need to talk... I'm here!!! Love you all bunches!!!

Marcie Marziali said...

Oh my, you sure know how to have fun, Lucie!! I can't believe it!! When I saw the layout I was thinking it was her collar bone incident but then noticed the cast! Oh dear, oh dear! Joy, I think you should keep her on the ground from now on....heights and Lucie don't work well!!

Carrie said...

Oh my goodness! I dread the day when Ethan breaks something. Cuts and scrapes are hard enough for me! Lucie sure looks cheerful. Sounds like a long road ahead for that cast. I imagine it will take a while to heal.

Anonymous said...

What can i say? Lucie - keep your feet on the floor before we have to nail them down! Joy - you know my numbers and where i am for anything. And to the others that worry - i am keeping an eye on them! I promise (more than my lifes worth not too i think!!). As for Emi, well i hope she now has a worry free week after chatting to Luc' last night. And Alice - well young lady you are doing a great job looking after Mum and Lucie while Em is away - good girl i am proud of you. Poor ol' family brown. Love you all tons

Anonymous said...

Awww! That was a pretty bad fall. Lucie's in my prayers and I hope she heals fast very soon.

*hugs*

Michelle M. said...

Oh, dear! Poor 'lil Lucie! I'm sure it's really hard for someone so active to have a cast. I hope she heals quickly. I hope Mom is OK too. I know the feelings that having our child hurt brings.

Anonymous said...

My word! When you do something, Lucie, you give it 110%!! What a little trouper though - just look at that smile. Hope the appointment goes well next Wed and you get a great new cast. I also hope the rest of Emi's trip is fun and worry-free.

Hugs to all of you!